Thursday, May 19, 2011

FLICKR, MEET WORLD - a love letter to photography
















Here is the door to my flickr account (click on the title above!). Photography is something I love because it continually challenges me. I have so much to learn and I'm stoked about that! It is science and art fused into one beautiful, widely-accessible tool with an amazing myriad of interesting results - the reflections of people's souls. In my 12th grade social studies class we did an experiment. Our teacher gave us a list of the top 25 Most Influential Technologies of the 20th century, and from that list we each chose a creation to research and defend. I ended up with the electric car, which eerily resonated with current times and stirred a lot of questions in me such as WHY HAS SUCH AN INCREDIBLE PIECE OF MODERN MACHINERY BEEN HIDDEN ALL THESE YEARS and WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT. But that's a whole different blog post. After we presented our findings the class did a vote to determine after what we'd heard what we thought was the most important development of the 20th century. Something like vaccinations got the most votes (I had beef with this conclusion). I voted for the camera, knowing in my heart that it probably wouldn't be awarded anywhere near first place (with fierce competitors such as the condom and the computer, everyone loves lovin' and surfin'), but it felt right and made sense to me in a lot of ways. Look at this blog right now. Look at the google images you just brought up to check out the inventor of the first modern style film camera (Henry Talbot Fox). Look at the book or magazine on your table. Look at the fridge and the walls of your house. Look at the tv, the billboard, the ad, the surveillance. Look at facebook. Photos, everywhere, in our every day life. They have become part of our very existence as people, and in a way we depend on them and how they serve us. As you feast with your eyes upon this flickr link and let the colors and lines and light and shadows as seen through someone else's view sink into your brain, just think about that.

2 comments:

Laurel said...

Great title "A Love Letter to Photography" and I love photos too, often they're more powerful than words.

Anonymous said...

wow I am so impressed by your photos! I would see one I loved but then get distracted by another so now I have about 500 favorites!
KC